A hands-on guide to building mobile applications, Professional
Android Application Development
features concise and compelling
examples that show you how to quickly construct real-world mobile
applications for Android phones. Fully up-to-date for version 1.0
of the Android software development kit, it covers all the
essential features, and explores the advanced capabilities of
Android (including GPS, accelerometers, and background Services) to
help you construct increasingly complex, useful, and innovative
mobile applications for Android phones.
What this book includes
- An introduction to mobile development, Android, and how to get
- An in-depth look at Android applications and their life cycle,
the application manifest, Intents, and using external
- Details for creating complex and compelling user interfaces by
using, extending, and creating your own layouts and Views and using
- A detailed look at data storage, retrieval, and sharing using
preferences, files, databases, and Content Providers.
- Instructions for making the most of mobile portability by
creating rich map-based applications as well as using
location-based services and the geocoder.
- A look at the power of background Services, using threads, and
a detailed look at Notifications.
- Coverage of Android's communication abilities including SMS,
the telephony APIs, network management, and a guide to using
- Details for using Android hardware, including media recording
and playback, using the camera, accelerometers, and compass
- Advanced development topics including security, IPC, advanced
2D / 3D graphics techniques, and user–hardware
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone interested in creating applications for
the Android mobile phone platform. It includes information that
will be valuable whether you're an experienced mobile developer or
making your first foray, via Android, into writing mobile
applications. It will give the grounding and knowledge you need to
write applications using the current SDK, along with the
flexibility to quickly adapt to future enhancements.