A hands-on guide to leveraging NoSQL databases
NoSQL databases are an efficient and powerful tool for storing
and manipulating vast quantities of data. Most NoSQL databases
scale well as data grows. In addition, they are often malleable and
flexible enough to accommodate semi-structured and sparse data
sets. This comprehensive hands-on guide presents fundamental
concepts and practical solutions for getting you ready to use NoSQL
databases. Expert author Shashank Tiwari begins with a helpful
introduction on the subject of NoSQL, explains its characteristics
and typical uses, and looks at where it fits in the application
stack. Unique insights help you choose which NoSQL solutions are
best for solving your specific data storage needs.
- Demystifies the concepts that relate to NoSQL databases,
including column-family oriented stores, key/value databases, and
- Delves into installing and configuring a number of NoSQL
products and the Hadoop family of products.
- Explains ways of storing, accessing, and querying data in NoSQL
databases through examples that use MongoDB, HBase, Cassandra,
Redis, CouchDB, Google App Engine Datastore and more.
- Looks at architecture and internals.
- Provides guidelines for optimal usage, performance tuning, and
- Presents a number of tools and utilities relating to NoSQL,
distributed platforms, and scalable processing, including Hive,
Pig, RRDtool, Nagios, and more.